Welcome to the Chagrin Falls Historical Society.
We are a non-profit (501 c-3) organization of over 300 members, and celebrated our 65th anniversary in 2014. We are located in downtown Chagrin Falls, Ohio 44022, at 87 E. Washington St.
We work to acquire, collect, preserve and share artifacts from our Village and vicinity, from its earliest times (it was settled in 1833), including a large collection of photographs and objects owned by early settlers, such as clothing, kitchen tools, household furniture and personal effects. We also have a substantial doll collection donated by a former museum curator.
We have collected a number of products produced by the Village’s mills, foundries and factories that were originally water-powered by the Chagrin River, which attracted the first settlers from mill towns in New England. We also have collections of artworks by two well known primitive artists – Henry Church, Jr. and Max Barnard – who lived in the Village most of their lives.
We have archives with records of local organizations and businesses, and microfilms of our early local weekly newspaper, The Chagrin Falls Exponent, which was published from 1874 to 1964, along with family records and diaries.
We publish a monthly newsletter and offer free programs and events.
Our museum is open to the public on Thursdays from 2 – 7 pm and Saturdays 11 am – 3pm. Please contact John Bourisseau at 440-821-3630 for special arrangements for out-of-town guests or organizations.
We encourage you to visit our museum, attend our programs, and become a member.